Invasion!

Discuss anything related to ProjectDS. For bug reports, use the bug reports forum below.

Moderator: PDS Developers

Invasion!

Postby seraph » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:56 am

Right, so I tested out an expeditionary invasion force:

Fleet with 1 Transport (500-1000 soldiers on board), some frigates, a destroyer.
* Fleet system works pretty well. Need a single Fleet disband button, I think.

Captured a pair of planets this morning.
After invasion, you get to keep the Transport! That's kind of nice. You still have to build a bunch of new soldiers to fill it, but that's a big outlay of expenditure I'm glad I don't have to buy again.
One planet, I kept all of the buildings and population. But the second lost a chunk of population and most of the buildings were destroyed. I'm guessing that's due to a difference in player race/planet population max.

Otherwise seems to work well.
seraph

Re: Invasion!

Postby seraph » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:57 am

Incidentally, folks, if a player only has 1 planet, you cannot invade. I tested that out too! :twisted:

Edit: Also, having a way to rename planets would be cool.
seraph

Postby Nestor2k » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:13 am

Seraph,

The first planet you invaded behaved normally. You should get to keep everything.

The second planet didn't behave normally. Invasions simply let you capture the planet. You should have kept everything. My guess is, it was just colonized by the other player, and they hadn't had the chance to build on it.

As far as renaming planets, that will be coming. However, there will be a price to pay for it. Not sure what that will be.. ;)

Did you invade one planet with multiple transports?
-Nestor2k
Nestor2k
Site Admin

Postby seraph » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:17 am

Nope, two separate fleets with 1 transport in each.

When Diplomacy comes around (and or if there's ever a merchant exchange to sell off GC or Ore or Gas), there could be a way to transfer planetary control as well. Even if it's to a computer AI (wow, what kind of coding would that take?) or to one of several computer AIs with different aggression-levels (and yet more coding! I'm a horribly demanding person).

I did send scouts to each of the planets before-hand as well as Comm-messages. While I only waited about 12-18 hours between the comm-message and the invasion, my guess is that the other players involved are either inactive (or not very active, I mean... doesn't everyone check in compulsively every hour or so?).

There are some huge interstellar empires in the southern half of the galaxy map and I really just wanted to test out the invasion/troop transport interaction without drawing myself into a huge and ongoing war. Now that I've seen how it works, I'd be more than happy to transfer those planets back to their original owners if they wanted them.
seraph

Postby Nestor2k » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Planet ownership transfer isn't a bad idea. I'll look into it!

As far as AI goes... let's wait on that... lol. I would have to be REALLY bored to code that. :)
-Nestor2k
Nestor2k
Site Admin

Postby seraph » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Nestor2k wrote:Planet ownership transfer isn't a bad idea. I'll look into it!

Yeah, that could tie into whatever Diplomacy stuff you work up later on. It's not an immediate thing that's needed, but it'd be nice to have around. Trade a planet as part of a trade deal, as a promise of cessation of hostilities, etc.

Nestor2k wrote:As far as AI goes... let's wait on that... lol. I would have to be REALLY bored to code that. :)

Yeah, I figured. That'd be a whole 'nother mess of coding to get something like that plugging away while players are also mucking things about.
seraph

Return to ProjectDS Stuff